Bldr. (Dr.) Anthony N. Ezemerihe (HOD) Emails: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
I have the honour and privilege to welcome you to the Department of Building. Building is a discipline in Faculty of Environmental Sciences. Building profession is centre point for all courses in Environmental Sciences because they co-ordinate all the input of all professionals in the Built Environment from paper work to a physical structure. The main role of a Builder is to manage the Building production process using the Architect’s Design, Structural design, Electrical/mechanical Engineering design and details with specifications as stipulated in the Quantity Surveyors’ priced Bill of Quantities. The Department operates on a five (5) years full time degree programme (B.Sc. Building) structured to offer a broad based comprehensive education and training in planning, design and management of the building production process and maintenance of existing Building structures.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme is contributing to developing the critical mass of professionals required for development, especially with respect to infrastructural development in Nigeria.
Building was one of the programmes inherited from then Anambra State University of Science and Technology, at the inception of Enugu State in 1991. The programme was developed in 1985 by the foundation Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences as one of the disciplines in the Faculty. It was formerly put under the Department of Architecture and Building. In 1992, the Quantity Surveying and Building programmes were put under one Department of Quantity Surveying and Building offering B.Sc Quantity Surveying and B.Sc Building degrees respectively.
The two programmes of study were demerged in 2008 into separate departments; Department of Quantity Surveying and Department of Building.
The pioneer HOD was Mr. Baah, a land Surveyor, with pioneer lecturers like Mr. Oke Anaradoh (late), Dr, S.O Onyeador, Rev. E.C. Isiodu, Mr. C.J.M Obasi. Other lecturers who joined later include Mr. C.A Ojimelukwe, Mr. U.O. Ajator, etc.
THE HEADSHIPS OF THE DEPARTMENT ARE:
Mr. Baah 1985 – 1988
Mr. S.O. Onyeador 1988 – 1992
Mr. C.A. Ojimelukwe (Late) 1992 – 1998
Mr. U.O. Ajator 1998 – 2000
Mr. C.A. Ojimelukwe (Late) 2000 – 2001
Mrs. E.C. Enebe 2001 – 2005
Dr. S.O. Onyeador 2005 – 2008
Bldr. W.O. Onyia 2008 – 2010
Bldr. (Mrs.) E.C. Enebe 2010 – 2013
Bldr. A.N. Ezemerihe 2013 – Till date
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE: The Chart Below Shows the Organogram in the Administration of Building Programme.
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENT BY THE CURRENT H.O.D.
- Securing full Professional accreditation for 5 years to expire in 2022.
- A functional workshop with equipment through the effort of University Management.
- Getting additional Lecturers and staff with the support of ESUT Management.
- Securing approval to start of Post graduate programmes in Building Department.
- Ensuring that students graduate within the stipulated time period.
- Production of the first edition of ESUT Building Journal in 2014.
- Organizing orientation of New Students/send forth for outgoing students.
- Won the Dean’s cup of football for four (4) Consecutive years among all the Seven Departments in the Faculty.
- Produced two SUG ESUT Presidents, Three Faculty of Environmental Sciences (FES) Presidents. President, National Association of Building Students. (NAOBS) in Nigeria.
- Organizing Building week for students.
- Helped some of her students to get scholarship awards.
- At various times produced who served as Financial Secretary and Secretary General of FESSA, Igwe of ESUT, Senator holding the Position of sergeant at Arm etc.
Academic Programmes Run by the Department
- UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Degree in Building.
- POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME: Approval was given to run the following
- Postgraduate Diploma (P.G.D) Building.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Construction Management, Construction Technology, Building Services, Building Structures, Facilities Management and Master of Project Management (MPM).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Construction Management, Construction Technology and Building Services.
The duration for full time PGD is one year. M.Sc is 18 months and Ph.D. Three (3) Years. Other information can be sought from the department.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (B.Sc.) HONOURS DEGREE PROGRAMME IN BUILDING
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (B.Sc.):
Building is one of the courses offered in the faculty of Environmental Sciences the need for managing the Building production process in our Construction Industry can not be under estimated or overemphasized. The management of building production process includes:
- Build ability and maintainability analysis of a proposed project prior to commencement of the construction process;
- Construction planning which includes preparing the following documents at the pre-contract stage. (a) Construction Methodology, Construction project programme, Quality Management plan, project health and safety plan, Early warning systems chart; and information requirement schedule.
- Managing the production process is using the following documents generated at the pre-contract stage to effectively manage the post- contract stage of the construction process. In order to achieve the following objectives, the Builders use the four Ms of Men, materials, machines and money to achieve efficient project delivery. The role of building profession also include providing the followings services, Construction Management, Construction Technology, Building Structures, Building Maintenance, Building Services, Project management, Facilities Management, Building Surveying (or Conditions Survey) and other allied services.
A student of Building has the opportunity of specializing in any of these areas at postgraduate level. A builder is trained to also embark on research and manufacturing of Building materials and components. The builder works in collaboration with the Architects Engineers, Quantity Surveyors town planners, estate surveyors and other professionals in the built environment to plan, execute and deliver to our clients efficient, effective and Economical Buildings.
The Builder has wider opportunity of working in clients and contractor’s organization both in public and private sectors of the economy.
No-Builder is unemployed. To build right, engage, Builders build right, build life, builds your future and contributes to technological development/wealth for the economy of any Nations.
We are not training builders to only serve the need of the National economy but also the world economy.
Encourage your children and wards to join the Building profession. It is a course for the future.
For further enquires Contact: The H.O.D. (Building) on 08033841903.
The philosophy of the Department of Building of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology is to train graduates with a theoretical base and practical skills that will be able to effectively contribute their own quota in satisfying the yearning and aspiration of Nigerians for a sustainable housing, building and other development infrastructure.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The main aim of bachelor’s degree in Building programmes of Enugu State University of Science and technology is to:
Produce Building graduates with sound academic background that will be equipped with the necessary knowledge to fit into evolving technological advancements.
Produce graduates that will be to provide technical, managerial and financial services to Building, Civil, Highways, Heavy Engineering, Petrochemical, manufacturing industries and the public service.
Produce graduates that will be able to handle complex problems of the environment such as forestation desertification, erosion and population control and coastal protection.
Produce graduates that will be able to proceed to specialized areas of Building that will lead to teaching, research and development.
Produce graduates who will be registered with “The Nigerian Institute of Building” (NIOB) and subsequently, Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria (CORBON) and similar organization Worldwide.
Provide cost control and management services on diversified projects in the public and private sectors.
Provide sound contract planning and administration, contract auditing and project management.
(c) Admission Requirements:
Possession of the university Minimum requirements, Departmental requirements and satisfying any of the approved entry routes by the University:
The University requires candidates seeking admission to have credit level passes in five subjects in their Senior Secondary Certificate (SSCE), National Examination Council (NECO) or General Certificate of Education ordinary level in not more than two sittings. In addition, the candidate must have at least a credit in mathematics and English language.
The five (5) Credits level passes in (1) above include: English Language, Mathematics. Physics plus at least two from the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology; Technical Drawing or fine arts; Economics; Geography, Building Construction and Surveying.
Entry Routes – I, University Matriculation Examination (UME)
ii, Direct Entry.
- University matriculation Examination – The candidate must obtain the University pass mark in UME
- Direct Entry – The Department runs 4 – Years and 3 Years direct entry programmes.
i. 4 – YEARS DIRECT ENTRY
(a) The candidate for this programmes must in addition to (i) and (ii) above either general Certificate of education or its equivalent with pass at advanced level in at least two subjects including mathematics and any of physics, chemistry and economics OR
(b) Ordinary National diploma (OND) or National diploma (ND) in Quantity surveying; Building; Architecture; Civil Engineering or Estate Management with at least a pass at the lower credit division.
ii. 3 – YEARS DIRECT ENTRY
(c) The Candidates for this programme must in addition to (i) and (ii) above have Higher National diploma (HND) in Building, Building, and Civil Engineering with a pass at the lower credit division.
(d) Programmes/Sub-discipline/Discipline Structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities Industrial training planned visit and projects:
Academic Staff and Technologist in the Department
- Bldr.(Dr.) Ezemerihe, Anthony .N. – Head of Department
- Prof Mbamali Ikemefuna – Adjunct
- Prof. Achuenu Emmanuel – Adjunct
- Prof. Mogbo T.C. – Contract
- Dr. Obiegbu Micha E. – Contract
- Dr. Ikediashi Dubem
- Dr. Anya Uche .C.
- Bldr. (Mrs.) Enebe, E.C.
- Bldr. Onyia W.O.
- Bldr. Obodo D.A. – Adjunct
- Bldr. (Mrs.) Ekekezie U.C
- Mrs. Chukwuenye Agatha T.
- Bldr. Orji S.E.
- Mr. Okolinta .J.E.